While these furry creatures may be cute to look at, they are nightmares to deal with when they enter a home. Many homeowners have experienced the annoyance and terror of having these rodents run loose in their house after chewing their way inside. If you have noticed squirrel damage to your Rockwall and Dallas, TX home such as a damaged attic, soffit, fascia, or insulation, you need to call the roofers at Firehouse Roofing, Inc. at 972-737-1451 for roof repair.
How To Get Rid of Squirrels
If a squirrel causes damage to your home, you need to remove it to not only protect your health, but your home. Squirrels like to chew on wires, making them a fire hazard. So what is the best way to repel squirrels? Humanely trapping squirrels and then calling professional wildlife control agencies to collect them is the recommended way. You can do this by getting a humane trap with a one-way door that won’t hurt the animal when it captures it. Trying to get the squirrel to leave on its own is another path you can try, with many methods available.
- Squirrels don’t like the scent of cider vinegar, so soaking some rags in the scent and placing them in the areas where squirrels habitat can force the animals out.
- Squirrels also don’t like loud noises, so playing the radio constantly in that room or banging a broom on the ceiling can scare them, triggering their flight response.
- Don’t give any reason for the animals to stay, so hide all food sources and close off any places where they could hide and nest like cupboards and drawers.
- Just leave one area of escape available, such as a small opening in a window.
- Once you have verified that the intruders are gone, you need to immediately locate their entry points and repair them to prevent any more squirrel damage to homes or invasions.
Signs You Have Squirrels in Your Walls
Can squirrels chew through walls? Yes they can! Squirrels particularly love to chew holes in insulation and wiring, both of which are found in walls. This is particularly dangerous as it puts your home at risk for electrical fires. Listen for for the sounds of scratching or claw marks around vents. Don’t try to remove them by hand as they will bite, and instead call for a wildlife control company to safely remove them.
Signs of Squirrel Damage To Your Roof
Squirrel damage to roof is oftentimes how these creatures get inside your home. They love to make nests inside your soffit or the insulation in your attic. The soffit is the underside of your roof or patio, oftentimes made of wood. Squirrels will pry loose the shingles or chew through the wood to gain entry inside the warm lining, continuing to chew through the soffit until they reach inside the attic and are inside the house. If you notice that your soffit beams are rotting, sagging, or pulling away from your gutters, these damages are just making it easier for squirrels to gain access inside. To prevent squirrel damage in your Rockwall and Dallas, TX roof, call Firehouse Roofing, Inc. at 972-737-1451 to get soffit repair or roof repair today.
Signs You Have Squirrels in Your Attic
- Scampering sounds in your attic or walls during the day. This is the most common indicator that you have some type of rodent in your home, either a squirrel or rat.
- Watch for sudden increases of squirrels in your yard or running along your fence. They will want to keep close to their nest.
- Odors. This could be from the smell of their urine or droppings, or could be from a dead squirrel. Sometimes squirrels crawl into air conditioning ducts, get stuck, and perish, causing foul scents to be wafted throughout your home. HVAC technicians can remove them, or you can call for professionals like squirrel removal in Rockwall.
- Similar to rat or cat droppings, squirrel droppings are oblong and about the size a raisin. Originally dark brown, they get lighter over time.
- Squirrel nests are messy and haphazard, often made of whatever they can find. This can include twigs, leaves, and even insulation from your home! They are often found in the soffit or fascia of your roof or in your attic.
- Squirrels will most likely have entered your house from your roof, as they are climbers. Trees, chimneys, or roof vents are all common entry points of how squirrels get inside the home.
How To Prevent Squirrel Intrusion
You can prevent squirrel damage and intrusion by making sure that your roof has no holes or weak spots. As the roof is the primary way that squirrels will enter your home, inspecting your roof regularly for signs of squirrel damage like holes or wood rot and getting them repaired will help to prevent these animals from being able to penetrate your roof. also , if you have any trees on your property, be sure to trim the limbs so that the squirrels cannot access the roof so easily. While the creatures may be cute, don’t encourage them hanging around your home by intentionally feeding them. They are plenty able to find food on their own. Squirrels like to eat birdseed, so make sure that your bird feeder is squirrel proof to prevent unwanted visitors.
Get Squirrel Damage Roof Repair Today
Not only is the sound of squirrels running loose in your attic disconcerting and annoying, but these rodents bring all kinds of health risks into your home with their droppings and nests. After safe removal of the animals, you will need Rockwall and Dallas, TX squirrel damage roof repair. Call Firehouse Roofing, Inc. at 972-737-1451 to set up an appointment today.